Self-taught as an artist, Jeff Hanson first began painting watercolor notecards while undergoing chemotherapy at age 12. What was initially a pastime and distraction from his treatments, Jeff’s painting soon evolved into a curbside business, Jeff’s Bistro. Proceeds benefited the Children’s Tumor Foundation to fund optic tumor research.
Jeff’s original notecards gradually transitioned to acrylics-on-canvas, both for sale and gifts to charity live auctions across the nation. At age 15, the “accidental artist” in a business built on a philanthropy-first model, became Jeffrey Owen Hanson LLC.
About Hal and Julie Hanson
Hal Hanson, MD, is a practicing emergency physician and motivational speaker from Kansas City. Raised in Iowa, Dr. Hanson attended the University of Iowa and completed a Family Medicine residency in Michigan.
Dr. Hanson now resides in Overland Park, Kansas, with his wife Julie. Hanson’s hobbies include writing, photography, and travel. Lessons From CLOD is Dr. Hanson’s only published work to date.
Join Dr. Michelle and both Hal and Julie Hanson as they talk about:
- The dreams most parents have for their child and how those can shift over time.
- How parents can encourage and support their child’s unique gifts.
- The moment they discovered Jeff’s natural gift for art and how they helped him cultivate and use that gift to help the world.
- Why it’s important not to focus on what society says your children should be interested in or be good at.
- How they focused on raising Jeff to be happy, independent, and give back to the world.
- The power in approaching everyone you meet with unconditional positive regard.
- Jeff’s philanthropic work and how he gave back to the community by donating to several organizations.
- What CLOD taught Hal and Julie about what’s important in life and their biggest takeaways from Jeff’s life.