WATCH OR LISTEN TO THIS EPISODE
Patrick K. Porter, PhD, of Brain Tap is an award-winning author, educator, consultant, entrepreneur, and speaker. With 30 years of experience operating the largest self-help franchise, he has become a highly sought-after expert within the personal improvement industry, having sold over 7 million of his self-help products worldwide. He invented the first portable light and sound neuro-trainer and, through over 2100 clinics, has sold millions of his 800+ brain-hacking sessions that create peak states of consciousness.
Carron Montgomery started a private practice nine years ago with two other women. Their practice specializes in treating anxiety, depression, OCD, trauma, and grief and loss. Carron is a licensed professional counselor, registered play therapist, Level II EMDR certified and trained in TFCBT. At the beginning of her career, she worked for two nonprofits; the first specializing in sexual abuse and the second working with low-income families and trauma. She currently treats ages 5 and up and often utilizes family therapy and parental support sessions.
She recently began speaking and writing as a result of the pandemic, and has found a deep desire to protect our youth as they began to show her a lens that deeply saddened her. She has written several articles, trained school counselors, and provided educational talks to churches, schools, and other organizations. Her goal is to use the pandemic as an opportunity to educate on a more broad scale around mental health, and use a more comprehensive and collaborative approach that considers the mind-body connection and importance of a holistic system.
Join Dr. Michelle and Patrick as they talk about:
- The Brain Tap device and why he created it.
- Exploring the nervous system and the different parts of it.
- How negative thoughts in the mind negatively impact the body.
- Why we’re wired to imitate the parts of people we like either on purpose or unconsciously.
- The difference between our thriving brain and surviving brain.
- An incredible upward trend in stress levels that we are seeing from the impact of COVID-19 on the world.
- Why uncertainty can create so much stress in our minds and bodies.
- All about our upcoming SCBS Sleep Campaign.
- How the Brain Tap device works and what features you can have access to just from their app.
Discover how to change your habits and prepare for a good night’s sleep by:
- Turning off the television at least an hour before sleep.
- Not looking at your phone first thing in the morning.
- Waking up to the light of the sun instead of your alarm.
Unlock greater health as Carron shares:
- How many of her patients’ healthy coping skills were hindered due to the pandemic.
- Why getting creative with your wellbeing during COVID-19 is necessary and how devices like Brain Tap can help.
- The fact that the brain is a muscle that we have to workout, just like a bicep.
- Why this mental health pandemic is very real and it will continue once the physical coronavirus one ends.
- How Carron and Dr. Michelle have been using Brain Tap in their own lives.
- What parents can do to help their children get better sleep and be more mindful.
- How you can help your child connect in the real world if they are addicted to too much screen time.
- What happens to the brain when we don’t get enough sleep.
For more information, download this handout: Aster Counseling & BrainTap
Mentioned In This Episode
- Patrick K. Porter, PhD
- Brain Tap
- Carron Montgomery
- SCBS Ep. 38: Dr. Patrick Porter and LaShonda Brown
- Patrick Porter’s TED Talk
- Episode 299 – Carron Montgomery, Elizabeth Goslinga and Julie Brown
- Big Shifts Foundation
- SCBS Sleep Campaign
- Your Wellness Connection
- SCBS 40 Days of Gratitude
- CommunityAmerica Credit Union
- SCBS 31-Day Kindness Campaign