WATCH OR LISTEN TO THIS EPISODE
Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of overcoming it. – Helen Keller
Quinton Lucas, “Mayor Q,” has prioritized making Kansas City’s neighborhoods safer, creating more accessible and affordable housing and public transportation, fostering a healthier community and improving basic services. Quinton created and chairs the City’s Special Committee on Housing Policy.
Born and raised in Kansas City, Quinton has spent most of his life in the city’s urban core. As a child, he moved often and experienced homelessness, sometimes staying with family or friends, or residing in a motel. Despite these challenges, Quinton remained focused on his schoolwork, earning academic scholarships to high school, college and Cornell Law School before returning home to Kansas City.
Join Dr. Michelle and Mayor Quinton as they talk about:
- The positive shift we can create in someone’s life when we show them kindness.
- Stories of how other people have shown him kindness during his lifetime and how that has lifted his spirits.
- The fact that everyone in 2020 is experiencing some kind of trauma this year.
- Examples of how the local Kansas City business community has rallied around him.
- Why social media is wonderful but we have to be wary of what we read/see/hear on it and what the truth out there actually is.
- How to be more considerate of what we share and write on social media.
- What steps we can take to show up and support one another.
Learn new tools for transforming your community including:
- Why you should never get too fed up to try and make a difference.
- The power of not giving up on our community especially our younger generations.
- Why it’s so important to listen to one another especially with the Black Lives Matter movement.
- Understanding people of different backgrounds and why we’re all so similar in our experiences, emotions, and struggles.
- Why it matters so much to people when we make time for them.