On Today’s Show
If I replace ‘I’ with ‘We,’ even ‘Illness’ becomes ‘Wellness.’ – Malcolm X
Today on Small Changes Big Shifts, we have the Executive Director of Pathway to Hope, Kiersten Adkins, joining us to share how the organization is helping parents better understand their children’s mental illness diagnosis, treatments, and recovery plans in a supportive community that understands what they’re experiencing.
Specifically, Kiersten and Dr. Michelle discuss Pathway to Hope’s E3 Education Program – Encourage, Empower, Educate which teaches the organization’s members about self-care, healthy boundaries, advocacy, and how to use that information to communicate better with their loved ones.
As you’ll hear in this episode, Dr. Michelle and Kiersten also discuss:
- Why we’re seeing spirituality become an even bigger part of an overall healthy recovery plan for mental illness compared to 20 years ago.
- How we can avoid disconnecting and connecting through superficial means such as Facebook or texting in order to truly build strong relationships.
- What signs of mental illness parents should look out for in their children.
- The importance of speaking to our children about healthy relationships, emotions, and mental wellbeing.
You have permission to rest. You are not responsible for fixing everything that is broken. You do not have to try and make everyone happy. For now, take time for you.– Unknown
Connect with Kiersten Adkins
Connect with Pathway to Hope
- CLICK HERE to connect on Facebook
- CLICK HERE to connect on Twitter
- CLICK HERE to connect on Instagram
Mentioned In This Episode
- Pathway to Hope
- Pathway to Hope’s E3 Education Program
- Kiersten’s blog – Thoughts From Down Here
- NAMI – National Alliance of Mental Illness
- Simon Sinek
- Ted Talk Susan Pinker – The secret to living longer may be your social life
- Small Changes Big Shifts Podcast Episode 034 with Dr. J Dunn
- Small Changes Big Shifts Podcast Episode 160 with Dr. Georgia Nab
Review the Podcast
If you enjoyed the show, please rate and review my podcast, and share using the links below. This will help tremendously in getting the word out.